The activity book is organized into 15 theme-based units around topics that first graders enjoy, such as bugs, families, and food. Each unit focuses on a grammar concept and punctuation concept, and includes:
- A reading selection – A short fiction or nonfiction text engages children and presents the concept or skill in context.
- Rule boxes – Grammar and punctuation rules are made simple with a short explanation, and clear examples help to teach the skill.
- Colorful practice activities – A variety of activities include fun illustrations to motivate your child to practice the grammar and punctuation skills.
- Riddles and word games – Your child will use critical thinking skills while applying the targeted grammar or punctuation skill in a fun format!
- Writing practice – The “Write It Right!” page encourages your child to use the skills in context, which further promotes understanding.
- Review page – The short review activity is a great way to check your child’s understanding.
The grammar concepts for first grade include:
Punctuation concepts for first grade include:
- End punctuation
- Use of apostrophes
- Use of commas
- Use of colons
- Book titles
Skill Sharpeners: Grammar and Punctuation engages your child in learning important grammar and punctuation rules. It’s ideal for enrichment at home and in the classroom, for homeschooling, and for English language learning.
Designed to serve as enrichments to core curriculum, Evan-Moor materials provide practical, creative and engaging supplements for students in grades Pre-K to 6+.
Use Evan-Moor titles to help your struggling students or to engage more advanced students to dig deeper into topics that interest them.
Students love Evan-Moor for their creative instruction, engaging illustrations, and interest grabbing material. Parents and teachers love it for its ability to build and reinforce both basic and complex skills, to engage students, and to develop a curiosity for learning.The Evan-Moor workbooks include a variety of titles that give children a love for learning. Teachers and homeschool parents can select Evan-Moor workbooks to enhance reading, writing, math, science, the arts, social studies and geography instruction.
Buying your Evan-Moor Educational Publishers curriculum, home school supplies and other homeschooling curriculum at Curriculumexpress.com can be done with confidence because our home education materials, science kits, home schooling curriculum, books and more are backed by our 30 day money back guarantee.
“I love the ideas that Evan-Moor brings to my classroom. Whenever I embark on a new science or history theme, I check out Evan-Moor to see if there is a title produced for that theme. And I am never disappointed. If you are looking for engaging and creative ideas, then take a look at Evan-Moor. You will be glad you did.” (Jenny, Teacher in Michigan)