Each lesson introduces the poetic form with a definition and example of the poetry covered. Then a step-by-step writing form leads students through the process of creating their own works of art. You’ll love Poetry Patterns & Themes because it:
- Supports 6-Trait writing. Activities are designed to build skills in each trait — ideas, organization, word choice, sentence fluency, voice, and conventions. And a trait-based writing guide at the beginning of the book makes it easy to see exactly which skills are being developed.
- Makes teaching poetry easy. Teacher pages explain each poetic form and give ideas for conducting lessons. Teaching more difficult types of poetry isn’t as daunting with guided instruction and step-by-step student writing forms.
- Inspires reluctant writers. A variety of traditional and non-traditional poetry forms makes writing fun!
- Addresses grade-appropriate topics and themes. It’s easy to implement poetry into your day when the poems address curricular themes. Use a poem to spice up an everyday lesson or try it as an extension activity.
- Includes resources and directions for creating a poetry portfolio. Portfolios work great for individual assessments and provide opportunities for class anthologies.
- Is correlated to state standards.
Each lesson in Poetry Patterns & Themes contains two components:
- A teacher page that describes the poetry form and pattern, shows one or more student-written examples, and gives suggestions for conducting the lesson.
- A reproducible student work form that guides students through the writing process for each poetry pattern using step-by-step directions. Many pages also provide an area where the completed poem can be written.
This resource contains teacher support pages, reproducible student pages, and an answer key.